WELCOME!

This blog is hosted by Hanne Lore Koehler, artist, author, illustrator. I will try to post a new article every day, including new work, painting tips, art news. Hope you will join me and leave a comment!

Monday, January 4, 2010

PEGGY'S COVE IN WINTER

REASON TO BELIEVE
Image Size: 22" x 30"
Framed Size: 30" x 40" (framed to museum quality standards)

I painted this peaceful winter landscape of Peggy's Cove back in my warm cozy studio by looking at one of the many photos we took as if I were sitting on site. It would not have been possible to paint this detailed winter watercolor scene plein air (on site).This 22" x 30" image took many days to complete. My paper watercolor canvas would have blown away; my watercolor paints would have frozen (not to mention my fingers); the light would have changed; the weather certainly changed. The day after the photo of this scene was taken, a nor'easter blew in - an easy image to paint - this canvas would have been left totally white.

Our trip to the east coast yielded hundreds of photos of sleepy fishing villages like this, an endless source of fascinating subjects to paint. The wonderful part of painting scenes from a vacation is that you can almost relive the vacation as you recreate the scene. I welcome your inquiry into the availability of this and other original paintings on my site.

No comments:

Post a Comment