WELCOME!

This blog is hosted by Hanne Lore Koehler, artist, author, illustrator. I will try to post a new article every day, including new work, painting tips, art news. Hope you will join me and leave a comment!

Friday, October 1, 2010

ACTION SPORTS ART - PAINTING TIPS

 SNOWBOARD PSYCHED

COMPOSING A SPORTS ACTION PAINTING

Step 2:

Before I begin to paint, I complete a detailed drawing of the subject on my canvas using my preliminary layout as the model as if the athlete were posing in my studio, frozen in time. Facial expressions, muscle action, pose must be right in order to make the action look believable. When painting in watercolor, this is particularly important to my style since I do not use white paint. True to traditional watercolor techniques, the whites in my compositions are created by the white paper background; so, in order to leave the paper white in the right locations, a detailed drawing on the paper canvas is essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment